An epic weekend of sailing kicked off the Sarasota Viper Winter Series. While the rest of the country endured an Arctic blast Brad Boston, Lee Shuckerow and Luke Lawrence topped a fortunate fleet of 23 Viper teams that sailed 8 races in perfect Viper breeze with temps in the 80’s!
Zeke Horowitz, Brendan Healey and Ian Coleman finished up second with local team Travis Yates (Event Chair extraordinaire), Mike Meighan and Dave Hillmyer taking the last spot on the podium.
Great close sailing happened for the entire fleet with old friends and some great new faces joining the Viper fleet. Four teams came down from the GYA and Sarasota looks forward to seeing more Gulf Coast teams down at the GYA’s southernmost member club in the near future.
Some color commentary on the weekend:
- 23 teams raced, not all sailed all 8 races
- Support/crash/media boats was handing out beers for the upwind sail home… to much applause and appreciation
- The breeze peaked both days in full planing conditions from the south
- Weather peaked at 85 on Sunday (editor’s note from NY: Brrrrrrr!)
- Viper fireside chat post dinner and beer had nearly the whole fleet there
- Sounds like it was a great weekend on and off the water. Let’s all try to make it to one of the next Sarasota weekends!
The Sarasota Sailing Squadron is looking forward to hosting the January 7-8 and February 4-5 series events which are expected to grow in numbers as the Viper winter circuit heats up. Make your plans and get you boat and crew to Sarasota for some much-needed fun in the sun.
FINAL NOTE: Why God created the bowman!!!!