Date(s) - May. 18, 2024 - May. 19, 2024
Noroton Yacht Club
Replicating the format of the GYA’s club-vs-club Lipton Cup, this is a new northeastern interclub competition.
- 104 year old history of a challenge between clubs in a One-Design class commenced in 1920 when Sir Thomas Lipton presented a perpetual trophy to Southern Yacht Club.
- First 48 years in the Fish Class. Then 48 years in the Flying Scot. In 2016, switched to the Viper 640. Hosted in the Gulf by the GYA.
- For the 105th year, a North East version of the Lipton is being inaugurated . Similar rules . Same Format. Same Boat.
- Two days of racing May 18/19. Host is Noroton Yacht Club, supported by Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club.
- There are 41 eligible clubs in the catchment area. 22 of them already have Vipers. The Organizing Authority is inviting a further 7 clubs by introducing the clubs to Viper owners who are prepared to lend their boat and sail with the team as an Owner’s representative.
- Participating clubs are centers of competitive sailing excellence in their respective locations.
- We are anticipating 15-20 teams from 15- 20 clubs from the North East reaching from the Chesapeake to Ontario.
- One boat per club so you are encouraged to pool resources. Host club can field two teams.
- Each team must comprise at least two helms (can be more) and no helm can sail more than half the races. This rewards bench strength and encourages clubs to pool resources to get a boat to the event.
- The team can comprise as many people as you like. You cannot change team members during the day but you can have different people on Sunday than Saturday. This opens the opportunity to sail to people who can only attend for a day.
- Cajun dinner and Hurricane Cocktails after racing on Saturday.
- Registration is open and you can book a slot for a $5 deposit and finalize payment next year.