Written by Regatta Committee
The Bacardi Cup is a truly legendary sporting event in the world of yachting. The first Bacardi Cup was held in 1927 in Havana. The annual competition for the Trofeo Bacardi, also known as the Cup of Cuba, quickly became the most prestigious regatta on the international circuit for the Star Class. The tradition of competition and hospitality continued until political unrest forced the Bacardi Cup to find a new home in 1962 at the Coral Reef Yacht Club in Miami, where under the patronage of the Bacardi family it has flourished ever since. The winners’ roster reads like a who’s who of sailing greats.
In 2010 for the first time in “Bacardi” history, the event organizers decided to invite other Classes in addition to the Star to participate in an event that will be called Bacardi Miami Sailing Week. The Bacardi Company and the organizers wished to broaden the event but preserve the integrity and the history of the regatta. We presented the Viper as a contemporary equivalent of the Star, a modern flat out racing boat that will respect the tradition of the Star Class. The inclusion of the Viper was supported by Coral Reef Yacht Club and the Bacardi Company and so we are very proud and honored to host our 2010 North American Championships at the 2010 Bacardi Miami Sailing Week.
Please refer to the Website http://www.miamisailingweek.com/index.html
Preliminary Schedule for 2010 North American Championships.
- Sunday March 7th: CRYC Race for Early Arrivals. Welcome Cocktail Event.
- Monday March 8th: R&R. Bacardi Bar Hopping in evening.
- Tuesday March 9th Registration in morning. Practice Race in afternoon. Bacardi happy hour in evening.
- Wednesday March 10th 2010 Viper North American Championships. Late Registration in Morning. Racing Commences! Party at Coconut Grove Sailing Club hosted by Bacardi.
- Thursday March 11th 10.30 am. Fleet photo op’. 11.50 am First Gun. Bacardi Bar hopping in evening.
- Friday March 12th Day Three of racing. 4.00pm -6.00pm Bacardi rum tasting in the race village followed by Viper rendezvous at South Beach.
- Saturday March 13th. Final Day of Racing. Awards Party from 4.00pm to 8.00pm at Peacock Park.
The Race Committee aim to run 11 races over 4 days with one discard if 5 races are completed.
Racing Vipers on Biscayne Bay is a dress rehearsal for heaven. Sign up now http://www.miamisailingweek.com/registration.html